Salisbury Steak Meatballs
I’ve been dying to make these Salisbury Steak Meatballs which I adapted from my Salisbury Steak recipe. They are made in a light mushroom gravy, wonderful served over noodles, cauliflower mash or try them over mashed potatoes. You can make them on the stove, Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, you decide!
Why This Works!
- Comforting! Everyone loves a good meatball, and this fun twist will not disappoint!
- Lighter – you still get the same beef taste using half the ground beef, will less calories and fat using half ground turkey. The texture is lighter than using all lean ground beef.
- Yummy! Kid friendly, and the adults will enjoy it too.
- Freezer friendly – Leftovers freeze great.
- Quick! a 30-minute meal.
minced onions, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey, whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs, large egg, tomato paste, salt and black pepper
all-purpose flour, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, Worcester, mustard powder, sliced mushrooms, beef broth, chopped parsley, salt and black pepper
How To Make Salisbury Steak Meatballs
You can make the meatballs three ways, on the stove, in the slow cooker or in the instant pot.
- Form the Meatballs: Sauté the minced onions over medium heat for about five minutes. Combine half of the onions with the ground beef and turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, egg white, broth, salt, and pepper. Shape it into meatballs.
- Brown the Meatballs: In a large, deep skillet (or in the Instant Pot) on medium-high heat, brown the meatballs. Set aside once done.
- Mushrooms: Add the mushrooms to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for a few minutes. Return the meatballs to the skillet.
- Mix the Gravy: Whisk the flour and remaining broth until smooth. Pour in the rest of the onions, tomato paste, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard powder. Pour over the meatballs and mushrooms.
- Simmer: Cover the pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meat: Use 90% ground meat if you prefer. If you want all beef, skip the turkey, and double the beef.
- Eggs: If you’re allergic to eggs, you can substitute them with a flax egg.
- Gluten-Free: To make gluten-free Salisbury steak, use gluten-free breadcrumbs or oats, and instead of all-purpose flour, use rice flour or cornstarch to thicken the gravy.
- Tomatoes: If you want your gravy to have less tomato flavor, halve the tomato paste.
- Mustard: If you’re out of mustard powder, sub it with Dijon mustard or omit it.
- Vinegar: Swap the red wine vinegar for balsamic or white wine vinegar.
- Mushrooms: Don’t like mushrooms? Omit them! Love them? Add more!
To meal prep, double the recipe and refrigerate up to 4 days or freeze up to 3 months in an airtight container.
What to Serve with Salisbury Steak Meatballs
My family loves Salisbury steak over egg noodles, or Instant Pot mashed potatoes. It’d also be great cauliflower rice, or mashed cauliflower for a low-carb option. Cook some asparagus, spinach, or broccoli to finish off your meal.
More Meatball Recipes You Will Love:
Salisbury Steak Meatballs (Instant Pot, Stove Top, Slow Cooker)
Finely chop 1 oz of the mushrooms into small pieces and set aside. Heat the Instant Pot on saute (or a large nonstick pot on medium-high) and add 1 tsp oil and onions and cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Divide onions in two.
In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions with the ground beef, ground turkey, chopped mushroom, bread crumbs, egg, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the beef broth, 3/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
In a small bowl, blend flour and 1 cup broth until smooth. Mix in remaining onions, remaining 1 tbsp tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
Gently shape into 20 small meatballs.
Stove Top Method:
Heat a large deep skillet over medium heat, add the remaining teaspoon of oil and brown the meatballs, in batches as needed, about 2 minutes until no longer sticks (if it sticks, it’s not ready to turn yet). Flip and brown an additional 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper and pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook low heat for 25 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
Slow Cooker Method:
Saute meatballs in a skillet with the remaining teaspoon of oil, then transfer to slow cooker with mushrooms, salt and pepper and pour sauce over. Cover and cook low 6 to 8 hours, until tender.
Instant Pot Method (see note below)
Heat the Instant Pot on saute, add remaining teaspoon of oil and brown the meatballs (in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pot) about 2 minutes until no longer sticks (if it doesn’t turn, it’s not ready yet), turn and brown an additional 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper and pour the sauce over the meatballs, cover and cook on high pressure 10 minutes. Quick or natural release. Garnish with parsley.
Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.